VC University ONLINE
Get practical training on venture finance for entrepreneurs, investors, attorneys, and anyone else interested in emerging company finance.
What is VC University ONLINE?
VC University ONLINE is the definitive online course in venture finance. Participants will learn the nuts and bolts of venture and earn a certificate of completion. Course components include lectures, conversations with leading venture capitalists, interactive activities, and networking.
- Self-paced, online course with live virtual office hours, webinars, and alumni network
- 8-week recommended schedule (access to course platform for 5 months)
- Perfect for professionals new to venture capital and practitioners who want to reinforce their understanding of venture fundamentals!
What to Expect
- Course Platform — Leverages UC Berkeley’s online course platform to provide a self-paced learning experience.
- Lunch & Learn Webinars — Monthly live webinars with venture capital thought-leaders.
- Office Hours — Weekly live virtual office hours with instructors, hosted during the first 8 weeks of the course.
- Participant and Alumni Network — Students who earn their certificate gain access to the VC University LinkedIn group and Slack workspace.
The VC University ONLINE course consists of 5 modules. Each module consists of a mix of lectures, investor perspectives, exercises, and/or assessments:
- Introduction to Venture Funds — Explores how venture funds are structured and managed.
- Startup Fundamentals — Covers how venture-backed companies are formed, managed, and funded.
- Introduction to Venture Deals — Addresses the terms, processes, and structures that drive venture financings.
- Venture Deal Economics — Utilizes case studies and capitalization table exercises to illustrate the economics of venture finance.
- Advanced Topics in Venture Capital — Examines issues like public policy, corporate venture, investor governance, venture capital careers, valuations, and more.
Stats at a Glance
VC University ONLINE sold-out cohorts since launch in 2019
full scholarships awarded
Scholarships are available by application for new or aspiring VC investors from historically underrepresented backgrounds. The scholarship application for the September cohort is open from June 7 -25. Learn more
Tuition & Discounts
General tuition is $1,500 per participant.
UC Berkeley alums and NVCA members receive a 20% discount. Group rates are available. Only one discount may be applied, and codes cannot be retroactively applied. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for discount codes before registering.
VCU was a life-changing experience for me. The program brought my knowledge, skills, and passion for the startup and investing ecosystem to the next level. With skills and insight obtained while attending VCU, I was able to advance my career and eventually get hired by one of my dream jobs. If you’re waiting to apply, stop hesitating! Jump in. This program is absolutely worth it.
The course was a valuable learning experience because it challenged my thinking regarding venture capital finance principles. I have really improved my knowledge in this field. I like how it enabled me to interact with staff, fellow students, and our designated mentors, and the relationships I have maintained post-course have been invaluable. It has also given me the confidence to pursue opportunities in venture capital, which have already proved fruitful.
Loleta Robinson, MD, MBA
VC University drew on knowledge from a range of investors and lawyers to build a rigorous course on company formation and development. The curriculum balanced technical information with legal aspects of company formation (IP protection, fiduciary duties, etc.), and was complemented by lunch and learns with industry leaders. I was fortunate to take the course with a number of colleagues; going through the course with a team made it all the more fun!
VC University gave me the tools to understand venture and startup financing in a relatable way. As former Director of LatinSF, I worked with 100+ Latin American startups raising funds in the Bay Area. I had empirical knowledge of the process, but zero academic understanding. The legal, technical, and fund nuance info I needed were covered through the course curriculum plus the invaluable office hours and lunch sessions held by top-notch VC’s. They addressed my real industry questions I couldn’t find in podcasts or books.
Instructors and Guest Speakers
VC University incorporates lectures and interviews with faculty from UC Berkeley, executives from NVCA and Venture Forward, and leading venture capitalists.
Longitude Capital - Managing Director
Foresite Capital - Managing Director
University of California, Berkeley - Professor
Sofinnova Investments - General Partner
Uncork Capital - Founder & Managing Partner
Omidyar Network - Senior Corporate Counsel
National Venture Capital Association - General Counsel
National Venture Capital Association - Senior VP of Government Affairs
Emergence Capital - General Partner
National Venture Capital Association - President & CEO
Kapor Center - Chief Technology Community Officer
Arboretum Ventures - Founder & Managing Partner
Mercury Fund - Managing Director
Mohr Davidow Ventures - VP, Corporate Development & Administration at Carbon 3D
Venture Forward - Executive Director
Precursor Ventures - Founder and Managing Partner
Canaan - General Partner
Data Collective - General Counsel
Obvious Ventures - Co-Founder & Managing Director
Startup@BerkeleyLaw - Director
Arboretum Ventures - Principal
Accel - Partner
Andreessen Horowitz - Managing Partner
Scale Venture Partners - Co-Founder and Partner
Trinity Ventures - General Partner
Next Frontier Capital - Founder & General Partner
Renegade Partners - Co-Founder & Managing Director
NewSpring Capital - General Partner
Silicon Valley Bank - Vice President
National Venture Capital Association - Director of Government Affairs
Salesforce - Executive VP of Corporate Development and Salesforce Ventures
Omega Funds - Managing Director
Berkeley Center for Law and Business - Executive Director
Emergence Capital - General Partner
NextGen Venture Partners - Venture Partner
Silicon Valley Bank - Managing Director
Foresite Capital - Senior Investment Analyst
From UC Berkeley, NVCA, and Venture Forward
- VC University LIVE – our three-day certificate program on venture finance, held in partnership with universities in emerging VC ecosystems across the country.
- Venture Capital Symposium – a two-day conference from NVCA and Stanford focused on governance best practices
- FORM+FUND – Startup@BerkeleyLaw’s live workshop series for Berkeley-affiliated founders.
From other organizations
Other Ways to Get Involved
If you’re interested in supporting VC University ONLINE as a scholarship sponsor, Lunch & Learn speaker, mentor, or in some other way, please contact email@example.com.